Linn Co. R1 Graduating Class of 1970

Linn Co. R1 Graduating Class of 1970

Friday, July 30, 2010

The Happenings of Pat McMillin




I am sorry for the delay, but I am traveling right now, but did want to send something in case you have any media or print material. Attached is a recent photo of my wife, Freda, and I.

The period 1970-1980, We lived our lives in Browning, trying to carve out a living by various means. I worked at Browning Lumber Yard, playing drums at Honky Tonks for 10 more years (best paying job so far in that period), Construction jobs, Odd jobs, Elected Browning Mayor at 23 years old (lots of fun and challenges), Substitute Rural Mail Carrier, Dog Trainer (?), Drug/Liquor Store Owner, Real Estate Salesperson (selling farms of which I had no clue on farming). How Freda maintained her sanity and patience is beyond me... But all these Missouri experiences laid a strong foundation for us to survive in any circumstance, and gave us and the children a ethics and integrity for our upcoming move to California. We still maintain those Missouri principles.

From 1981 to now, I won't bore you folks with what we've done, other than to say it's been good. My career can be seen at www.mcmillinventures.com .

On a personal side,

Well how do I start?. I think with information that's most important.
We have grown children, Vanessa, Patrick and Sandra, all born in Missouri. We moved to San Diego, California in 1981 to allow for better opportunities for my children and us. Business in Missouri was not good in 1981. It has been a good move for us. The children are all through college, with degrees and positions they enjoy. They all have homes within 5 miles of our home, and all have 2 children each. All are very close to us, especially Freda.

Freda and I will celebrate our 40th next year. I was fortunate to have married into the well established and stable Head family. As many of you may not know, my father was married 6 times, as was my mother, so I experienced all the divorces and rocky roads at a young age before I got to Linn County in 1967, so I think that background, along with my wife's stable conservative family upbringing, we have been blessed with our life.

We live in a beautiful home for over 25 years, and in the past few years, we bought a mountain cabin just 45 minutes from our home that has 4 seasons, and is at 6,000 foot elevation. It gives us the snow, spring, summer and fall, which we miss (San Diego is always 70 degrees and boring).

Pat and Freda's Cabin

I have fond memories of all of you, and of Linn County R-1. I do wish to apologize for leaving in mid-year during our Senior Year, especially as your Class President, but the circumstances was beyond my control, and it was best. The basis for that situation is long in the past. I obtained my Linn County Diploma that same year after completing 1 last class through MU Extension.

We travel to see family there 1 or 2 times a year. We always drive through Browning. My brother Mike, and I are very close and speak or email weekly. My kids are true blue Missourians and they enjoy coming also.
Best wishes, and I hope you all enjoy the reunion that I will unfortunately miss.
Regards,
Pat McMillin
pfm@mcmillinventures.com

One of my favorite stories:
Sophomore year, 1967/68. New teacher, Mr. Butler. History teacher, but also the new Basketball coach. He spent most of the time talking basketball, not history. We were in that last small school room building. He stated that he could touch the ceiling, and of course we all challenged him. We cleared out the chairs forming a path, except for his desk and trash can at the end. . He ran across the room leaping, and came down in the trash can. If I recall, his feet or foot was wedged in the can, and he fell over because his feet were stuck. We all laugh loudly, and he jumped up mad because we laughed at him.

Have fun..

I found this picture of Freda in my old trunk.  I noticed when Pat sent their picture that Freda still looks as young as ever...thats just not right! 

1 comment:

  1. Hey Pat, Missed you and Freda at the reunion last night. Thanks for sharing your life with us. We told those there that we had received information from you and that it was posted on the blog.
    I posted some pictures this morning of the reunion, have not written anything yet. I had a great time! See the pictures by clicking on August 1 in the Blog Archive to the left hand side of this page.

    Take care and see you in 5 years
    Sarita

    ReplyDelete